London inspires me, and that’s why I love London quotes!
A city that needs no introduction, London is a classic and popular destination in Europe that gained millions of people’s heart. Many things make London unique, from Big Ben to Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, SoHo or Buckingham Palace, and you quickly recognise London aesthetic. If you’re as inspired by London as I am here are 50 London quotes you need to know!
They will be perfect for your Instagram caption or to fill your travel diary as a reminiscence of your London adventure!
50 Amazing London Quotes You Need To Know”
Quotes about London:
2. “The English language is like London: proudly barbaric yet deeply civilised, too, common yet royal, vulgar yet processional, sacred yet profane.” – Stephen Fry
3. “London is a cluster of communities, great and small, famous and unsung; a city of contrasts, a congregation of diversity.” – Roy Porter
4. “I like the spirit of this great London which I feel around me.” -Charlotte Brontë
5. “When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford” – Samuel Johnson
6. ” London’s greatest strength is our diversity.” – Sadiq Khan
7. “London opens to you like a novel itself… It is divided into chapters, the chapters into scenes, the scenes into sentences; it opens to you like a series of rooms, doors and passages. Mayfair to Piccadilly to Soho to the Strand.” – Anna Quindlen
8. “A bad day in London is still better than a good day anywhere else.” – Unknown
9. “Aesthetically, London is just beautiful; it’s a gorgeous city. The architecture, monuments, the parks, the small streets – it’s an incredible place to be.” – Sara Bareilles
10. “There’s nowhere else like London. Nothing at all, anywhere.” – Vivienne Westwood
TRavel quotes about london
11. “By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.” – Samuel Johnson
12. “The man who can dominate a London dinner-table can dominate the world.” – Oscar Wilde
13. “Fragmentarily the City is nothing, but collectively it is gigantic…” – Charlotte Riddell
14. “I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was therefore as free as air — or as free as an income of eleven shillings and sixpence a day will permit a man to be. Under such circumstances, I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained.” – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
15. “I came to London. It had become the center of my world and I had worked hard to come to it. And I was lost.” – V. S. Naipaul
16. “In London, love and scandal are considered the best sweeteners of tea.” – John Osborne
17. “I went to London because, for me, it was the home of literature. I went there because of Dickens and Shakespeare.” – Ben Okri
18. “Nothing is certain in London but expense.” – William Shenstone
19. “If London is a watercolor, New York is an oil painting.” – Peter Shaffer
20. “New York has a great energy, but London is better.” – Jaime Winstone
Speaking about the big apple why don’t you check those 50 great quotes about New-York?
Let’s continue with more amazing quotes about London!
21. “There are two places in the world where men can most effectively disappear – the city of London and the South Seas.” – Herman Melville
22. “To walk alone in London is the greatest rest.” – Virginia Woolf
23. “London goes beyond any boundary or convention. It contains every wish or word ever spoken, every action or gesture ever made, every harsh or noble statement ever expressed. It is illimitable. It is Infinite London.” – Peter Ackroyd
24. “London is a bad habit one hates to lose.” William Sansom
25. “Aesthetically, London is just beautiful; it’s a gorgeous city. The architecture, monuments, the parks, the small streets – it’s an incredible place to be” – Sara Bareilles
26. “The streets of London have their map, but our passions are uncharted. What are you going to meet if you turn this corner?”– Virginia Woolf
27. “The City of London, whose resident population hardly equals that of Dover, but whose precincts over a million persons enter daily, Sunday excepted, on business bent.” A. H. Beavan
28. “London is a modern Babylon.” – Benjamin Disraeli
29. “The parks be the lungs of London.” – Charles Dickens
30. “Keep calm and go to London.” Unknown
31. “If you’re curious, London’s an amazing place.” – David Bailey
32. “Mind the gap” – London Undergroud
33. “My Dad says that being a Londoner has nothing to do with where you’re born. He says that there are people who get off a jumbo jet at Heathrow, go through immigration waving any kind of passport, hop on the tube and by the time the train’s pulled into Piccadilly Circus they’ve become a Londoner.” – Ben Aaronovitch
34. “The vibe of London as a city is captivating. It’s both fast-paced and extremely rushed but still has the calmness that would attract any big-city person.” – Ali Fazal
35. “London has now become almost like a gigantic frog! With its long tongue it draws curious insects from all over the world inside itself!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
36. “It is not the walls that make the city, but the people who live within them. The walls of London may be battered, but the spirit of the Londoner stands resolute and undismayed.” – George VI
37. “London, with its monotonous and melancholy houses, seems like an inharmonious patchwork, as if pieced together without design. Yet it is lovable in its sprawling confusion.” – Joseph Fort Newton
38. “One thing about London is that when you step out into the night, it swallows you.” – Sebastian Faulks
39. “I travel continuously, and I see many cities, but there is nowhere like London.” – Norman Foster
40. “A person who is tired of London is not necessarily tired of life; it might be that he just can’t find a parking place.” – Paul Theroux
41. “In London, everyone is different, and that means anyone can fit in.” – Paddington Bear
42. “Everything in London is quite good, apart from the weather: it’s cold and rainy there, and the winter is long.” – Sayed Kashua
43. “It is difficult to speak adequately or justly of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or cheerful, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent.” – Henry James
44. “The interesting thing about London is that there are always stylish surprises around every corner.” – Natalie Massenet
45. “Oh, I love London society! It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what society should be.” – Oscar Wilde
46. “The truth is, that in London it is always a sickly season. Nobody is healthy in London, nobody can be.” Jane Austen
47. “London is a splendid place to live in for those who can get out of it.” Lord Balfour of Burleigh
48. “It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.” – Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
49. “When exploring London, you will come across lots of excitement by chance, so try to take everything in rather than just rushing around to all of the major tourist haunts.”– Richard Branson
50. “Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking-Poppins. London!” – Dennis Farina
If you’re looking for something short & sweet for your next instagram caption and your gorgeous London photos, use a pun!
Best London Puns:
Eye Came. Eye Saw. Eye Conquered.
I can’t be Thamed
Having the Thames of my life
Having the best Thames in London!
The Phantom Phonebooth!
Where have you Ben all my life?
Oh, Eye see you.
What a brew-tiful day!
So, are you feeling inspired yet to visit the capital of England after reading those amazing quotes about London? I certainly hope so! As I said previously those London quotes are also great materials to add to your Instagram captions under your beautiful London photos!
Psst, if you want to check out my daily adventures follow my Instagram: cpt_lyne!
Like those London quotes? Share them on Pinterest!
50 London quotes that will inspire you to visit!